Girls’ Soccer Looks to the Future

Players say team has improved.

Roslyn Skinner, Staff Reporter

The 2021 LCHS Lady Minutemen kicked off their season on Aug. 21 against Point Pleasant’s Lady Knights. The team stands 0-17 on the season.  

“Although we area a young team, everyone is working hard and dealing with our lack of numbers very well,” Jaelyn Romans, senior, said.

The team continues to see improvement throughout the season. By the team’s sixth game, they lost by 2 points against Preston County. 

“I believe we’ve improved tremendously since the beginning of the season. We’ve came to terms with the conditions of this season and worked hard throughout them,” Maggie Wyatt, junior, said.

Throughout the season, members of the team said they are finding many ways to improve and grow. Continuing to stay positive, the team develops plans and goals for the future. 

“My goals leaving the team are that the girls will take leadership next year and they will see what needs to be done to win consistently,” Romans said.

“I would love to see more ladies come out for next year. We hope to just keep improving regardless of the challenges we face,” Wyatt said.

The team played Elkins in a seeding match Sept. 28. The Minutemen scored 0-7 in Elkins’ favor. 

The 2021 captains are Seniors Claire Lattea, Jaelyn Romans, and Junior Maggie Wyatt. 

The team consists of Seniors Lattea, Romans; Juniors Wyatt, Bianca Jamen; Sophomores Bri Stout, Bo Probst, Bayleigh Putman, Shaylen Smith, Ambie Herrod; and Freshmen Kennedy Willison, Zoe Roberts, Makenzie Williams, Ada Foster, Braley Wilson, Fallyn Jennings and Taylor Hall. 

Head coach is Mr. Brian Gainer, with assistant coach Dean Atchison. 

The Lady Minutemen concluded their season on Oct. 19 with a loss at sectionals.