Golfers See Improvement Through Season

Roslyn Skinner, Staff Reporter

Young and improving. 

That is how coaches and players describe the 2021 golf season. 

The Minutemen golfers stand 0-6 on the season, but players said they continue to see progress in their individual and team play. 

Since the first match, each member’s score has improved. The team’s second match’s score improved from 230 to 162.  

“It’s been a bumpy road with Covid, but as the season progresses, I think we are slowly and steadily improving,” Emily Lybarger, junior, said. 

Players have been quarantined for contact exposure, but players said overall they have remained optimistic. 

“Covid-19 hasn’t really affected golf much. We use our own golf clubs. Some games have been canceled, but it’s basically the normal season,” Adam Dinkelo, freshman, said. 

The LCHS golf team started its season Aug. 5 squaring up against Preston County. The Minutemen shot 230 to Preston’s 221.  

The Minutemen competed in the Big 10 Conference Championship Sept.20 at the Bel Meadow Country Club course. Buckhannon topped the tournament with 255; LC finished eleventh with 336 on the 18-hole course. 

The team consists of Seniors Ethan Lantz, Cameron Ross; Juniors Emily Lybarger, Wyatt Burns; Sophomore Hunter Starrett; and Freshman Adam Dinkelo. 

Head Coach is Mr. Kenny James. 

The golf team ended its season at the Regional Tourney in Wirt County Sept. 27. The team placed 7th out of 9 teams. Philip Barbour won the tournament, and Roane finished in second place.

Mr. Burns Tees off