XC Looks for a Strong Finish

Makayla Ferguson, Editor

As the 2021 season comes to an end, the LCHS XC team readies the state meet October 30 at Cabell Midland High School.

The entire boys team earned a bid to the state  tourney for their regional performance. This marks second year in a row the boys will all be competing in the tournament as a team.

“The regional course was difficult, but it was very well marked,” Slate Swiger, junior, said.

The runners said they are excited to compete at States and hope to set personal records on the course.

The boys’ team qualified for states by capturing the runners up title at Regionals October 21 at Davis and Elkins College.

Thirteen LCHS XC runners participated for both teams. The boys are: Slate Swiger, David Hughes, David Hairfield, Maddox Prince, Mitchell Norman, Sawyer Swiger, and Colton Defosse. The girls are: Audrey Burchett, Bri Watson, Emily Lybarger, Fallyn Jennings, Lily Garton and Norah Clem.

Slate Swiger placed 3rd, Maddox Prince placed 6th, and David Hughes placed 9th, which landed them all state bound. The trio is currently ranked among the top 90 runners in the state as well.

In Big 10 action, the XC runners placed seventh, having two runners unable to compete due to health issues.

The Minutemen were paced by Slate Swiger, junior, who placed 11th which qualified him for 1st Team All Big 10 Conference.

The team only has 2 seniors: Bri Watson and Audrey Burchett. Both ran XC for multiple years.

Mrs. Rachael Boone is the head coach.