Golfers Work Toward A Strong Finish

Emily Lybarger, Staff reporter

The LCHS golf team looks ahead with high hopes as Regionals approaches September 26 at Arnold Palmer Signature course at Stonewall Resort in Roanoke.

According to players, the team saw improvement this year. Players attribute the improvement to young talent and great interest led to growth in Minutemen golf.

“I was very impressed with the large turn-out for golf this season. I am very optimistic about the future of LCHS golf if those participation numbers remain high and the interest continues,” Mr. Kenny James, veteran golf coach, said.

16 members took part on this year’s team: Seniors: Wyatt Burns, Emily Lybarger, Slate Swiger and Luke Davisson; Juniors: Hunter Starett, Keller Bennett and Tanner Griffith; Sophomores: Adam Dinkelo, Kade Richards, Scott Underwood, Ian Murray, Hayden Taylor and Garrett Freeman; Freshmen: Andrew Lybarger, Joseph Davisson and Maycee Ferguson.

“I really liked my freshman year of golf, and I look forward to the next three years. I learned a lot from Coach Kenny and my teammates,” Andrew Lybarger, freshman, said.

The team traveled to Green Hills Country Club to compete at the 2022 Big Ten Championship placing 10th on September 19.

“The course was different from what we played on all year long with some fast rolling greens. The rain delay definitely put a halt to the momentum I had going. I parred the first hole, then I had a strong second hole before we were called in for over two hours regarding the rain delay. I look for us to rebound on Monday, and I hope to lead the team to a great result,” Wyatt Burns, senior, said.

The Minutemen will have home course advantage as Regionals will take place at their home Stonewall Resort course.

“I have high expectations for our Regional performance. The four golfers representing our school and our team- Wyatt Burns, Kade Richards, Scott Underwood and Adam Dinkelo- have been consistent throughout the year. I believe we have a legitimate shot at the State Tournament,” James, coach, said.