Job Opportunities for Students

Brynlea Hinzman, Staff Reporter

Something that comes with being a high school student is the opportunity to get a job. Many students are interested in getting a job because now they can make their own money to do with what they please. If you’re looking for jobs, here are some ideas to pursue.

Babysitting:

Babysitting is always an option. People are constantly in search of someone to watch their kids. This is a great job if you enjoy children. Once you become more comfortable in your abilities, you can take more clients. This is a big responsibility, but it will put more money in your pocket. Plus, you can decide what your pay will be as long as your client agrees to pay that rate. It’s a good idea to have some training or experience with children, and having a first aid/CPR certification makes you more employable. 

Server:

Waiting tables can be fun, especially when the guests are nice. Servers are always in demand, and it’s a great first job. It can help you earn valuable skills like how to work in a fast-paced environment and customer service skills. You get paid pretty decently, and you can move up in your position if you work hard. The work hours can be long, and you will need to be able to stay on your feet, moving around, for long amounts of time. You will also need to get your food handler’s card through the health department.

Lifeguard:

Becoming a lifeguard is perfect for someone who doesn’t want to commit to a year-round job. After passing the training required to become a lifeguard, you can soak up the sun while keeping swimmers safe. You must get your lifeguard certification as well as first aid and CPR certificates to be a licensed guard. It may seem like an easy job that can help you get a summer tan, but there will definitely be times when you have to jump into action. And, while getting a tan sounds great, guards should take precautions about getting skin cancer. Lifeguards respond to emergencies and make sure everyone is following the pool safety rules. Working at a busy pool, like the Lewis County Park, can be especially difficult with so many people using the pool, slides and diving boards.

Movie Theater Cashier or Usher:

Cashiers at movie theaters sell tickets at the box office and deal with concessions. Ushers check people’s tickets, help people get to their correct theater and clean the theater after every movie session. Benefits of working at a movie theater is the flexibility to work at times either after school or at night and occasionally getting free movie tickets.

Yard Worker:

If you have experience weed-eating, mowing a lawn, raking leaves or working in a garden this could be a great job choice for you. Once you find some clients you can, like a babysitter, choose your own pay and if the client agrees, you’ve got a job. If you have your own equipment, it works out even better so that you don’t lose money by using someone else’s equipment. 

Tutor:

Being a tutor can be a very rewarding job because you get to see a person grow in their academic skills thanks to your help. Tutors also get to choose their own pay, and you can have multiple clients at a time.

Grocery Store Associate:

Grocery store workers can work as a cashier, stack clothes, re-stock shelves, organize products, etc. Depending on what job you apply for, you can get different pay. It’s a good job if you like to work hard and help people.

Fast Food Worker:

Weston has so many options of fast food chains and local food businesses. Like a waiter, fast food workers are constantly dealing with the public. Workers may work in a particular area, like frying foods or work at many stations during a shift. Sometimes the work can be tough as many restaurants are short-staffed which causes heavier burdens on the workers. 

Camp Counselor:

Like a lifeguard, a camp counselor is a great job for someone who only wants to work in the summer. You can apply to a camp that centers around something you enjoy like 4H or art. You get to work with kids and help around the camp.

Pet Sitter:

Similar to a babysitter, but for pets, pet sitting can be a really fun job. You get to watch the person’s pet while they are away. This is great for someone who loves animals or really wants one. You can feed, play, clean up after, and walk with them.