YLA Makes Impact in School and Community

Photo Courtesy D. Chenoweth

YLA members take time out to pose for the camera.

Emily Lybarger

Small, but mighty.

This is how the Youth Leadership Association (YLA) membership for the 2021-22 was summarized.

The group has already made–what leaders say–is a large impact in the community helping with community service projects and assisting with civic functions.

“Due to the pandemic, our membership was cut in half. In the future, I would love to see more students involved in YLA and become well rounded civically minded citizens,” Gump concluded.

YLA members helped bring Christmas early as they participated in the third annual Miracle on Main Street event December 4. The event drew many people to Main Street this year and organizers said they were very happy with the turn-out for the annual event. Organizers also said they were happy that high school students were involved in the event.

Members of LCHS YLA hosted a children’s booth at this year’s Miracle on Main. The booth presented a series of smaller games for children to try.

“I think our booth at the event was very successful. It was great to see the group involved and helping the community while also making it fun for children,” Mrs. Debbie Gump, YLA adviser, said.

A couple games included cornhole and pin the nose on the snowman. Kids had the opportunity to enjoy a few little games and win prizes. The booth was set up across from the Weston Town Hub and ran by members in the YLA.

Due to COVID-19 concerns, Miracle on Main was cancelled last year.

The members of YLA will be working at the 2022 Chocolate Festival in Weston February 12. The Chocolate Festival is a fundraiser for the West Virginia Museum of American Glass. This event draws many people from North Central WV to enjoy chocolate of all kinds and see beautiful glass exhibits. The entry fee is $10 for anyone looking to indulge in unlimited chocolate and support the museum.

A few members will also be traveling to the 2022 YLA Model United Nations in Mineral Wells, WV for a two-day trip on March 4-6. Students will get the opportunity the represent a nation. Student representatives will discuss the problems of their nation, debate topics and resolve issues through this conference.

YLA students helped spread holiday cheer by working a booth at the Miracle on Main Street event. (Courtesy of D. Chenoweth)