Lewis County Schools Announces Case of COVID-19 in School System

A picture of a COVID-19 Virus Picture

Courtesy of the CDC

A picture of a COVID-19 Virus Picture

Joe Derico, Section Editor

At least four staff members and one student have tested positive for COVID-19 according to separate statements from the LC Board of Education.

Upon the positive test results, each statement told stakeholders that a deep cleaning would take place prior to students or staff returning to the building. Each statement also said that contact tracing would be handled through the Lewis County Health Department and that those involved or needing to be quarantined would be notified through the health department officials.

The LCBOE released the following statement Wednesday, October 28 on their Facebook page that a COVID-19 case had been discovered within their school system. The Facebook post announced that contact tracing was underway with the guidance of the Lewis County Health Department.

Two other staff members and one student have since tested positive and quarantine measures were put into place as per LC Health Department and LC Schools guidelines.

Lewis County Schools Facebook Post Announcing COVID-19 Case in School System (Courtesy of Lewis County Schools Facebook)

The first known school-related case in the 2021 school system was September 11.

Dr. Robin Lewis informed the LC Staff  that there was a “probable” case within the school system September 11. She said she and the administrators were working with state and local guidelines.