Students Unmask for the First Time Since March 2020

Brooklyn Golden, Staff Reporter

For sophomores and freshmen, February 15 was the first day of being at LCHS without a required mask. And, for upperclassmen, it was the first time students have been able to attend school without masks since March 2020.

The Lewis County Board of Education voted 4-1 to remove the mask mandate and make wearing masks optional February 14 in a regular board of education meeting. 

Many believe that the new policy has been a good change to the classroom atmosphere. 

“I enjoy being able to see people’s faces,” McKinley Davis, junior, said. 

“I like seeing expressions and being able to read faces and see faces,” Mrs. Sarah Lough, business and education teacher, said. 

Although the change has seemingly positively affected the classroom, there are still concerns. 

“I’m still worried about Covid-19 coming back again,” Aleigha Snider, freshman, said. 

“I just don’t want to be shut down again,” Davis  said. 

There were some concerns about the possible divide between those who choose to wear masks and those who don’t, however most students and faculty believe there isn’t a divide. 

“I think there is a little bit of a divide,” Snider said. 

“I don’t think it’s as bad here. I could be naïve, but I don’t think anyone has treated me bad or anyone else,” Lough said. 

“I think our students are pretty respectful of those who still wear masks,” Mrs. Brooke Shaffer, health and physical education teacher, said. 

There are also downsides to no longer wearing masks. 

“You can no longer hide your facial expressions,” Snider said. 

“I can’t make funny facial expressions without other people seeing them,” Davis said. 

However, despite concerns, most can agree that they are happy about the change. 

“I think most of the people are happier with the change,” Shaffer said. 

“I just like seeing everyone’s faces,” Lough said.