FBLA Leads The Way

Emily Lybarger, Staff Reporter

For more than 35 years, the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) has been going strong in the LCHS as well as the Lewis County community. 

Club members said they the enjoy learning about business and how it relates to the real world. Many members said being a part of FBLA helps students learn about business.

Members said learning was a one of their favorite components of the club.

“(I like) learning stuff about business and being able to apply it the real world,” Emily Grogg, senior said.

“You can learn how to major in business and learn the key parts in business,” Tom Derico, freshman, said. 

Some members said they like the enrichment and community service projects associated with the club.

“We do about 2 to 3 community service projects throughout the year.

It feels good to know you can make a difference in other people’s lives.

— Mikayla Lattea, senior

Mikayla Lattea, senior, said. 

FBLA started at the old high school and has been going strong since its inception.

“Originally Mrs. Locke-Squires had the club,” Mrs. Priscillia Suan, the sponsor of the club, said. “She has an accounting degree and business degree. She still comes back as a degree teacher.” 

Most recently, members visited West Virginia University Dec. 6 to tour their business and marketing program.  Members visited the College of Business and toured dorms, the Mountainlair and other classrooms.

“We’ve already been invited back next year,” Suan said. 

They have worked on numerous projects through the years ranging from community-oriented service events to fund-raisers to national chapter events.  Coordinators said they accomplished many achievements throughout the years.  

During the fall, members brought clothing, hygiene items for teenagers in the community. The FBLA has also donated items to the Blue and Grey Cupboard, the LCHS-operated food and clothing pantry. 

“We’ve done Salvation (Army) bell ringing in the past,” Suan said. 

Members said the Future Business Leaders of America has a couple of future projects planned for the second semester of 2019-2020.

Students are going to work with Dr. William Moodispaw’s Veterinarian’s Hospital and collect pet toys, food, litter, and any supplies related to the “All Mutts Matter” program.  All items will be donated to the animal shelter to help defray the operational costs. 

FBLA members said they are looking forward to this project and hope it will be successful.