Cornell Notes Gain Popularity at LCHS

Brayleigh Walton, senior, taking notes.

Brooklyn Golden, Editor

With the arrival of a new school year, an old learning technique has resurfaced and gained popularity at LCHS. Cornell notes are a type of note-taking in which notes are divided into categories listed on the left side of the paper. On the right, are bullet points listed in the appropriate category. 

“It is a school-wide initiative to implement Cornell, two column, notes into the classroom,” Mr. Dustin Cogar, assistant principle, said.

This has led to many students participating in this form of note-taking and has caused a wave of mixed reactions among both students and staff. 

Some believe them to be an effective method. More and more teachers are implementing this style of note-taking…

“I’ve been doing Cornell Notes for years. It allows you to remain organized while studying. Cornell Notes covers many diversified learning styles,” Mr. Mike Smith, science teacher, said. 

“They’re effective because they’re a lot more organized and an easier note-taking method,” Brody White, freshman, said. 

Many even believe that it prepares you for college. 

“I think they are a good study tool if you are going on to college because, in college, you’ll need to take Cornell Notes,” Mrs. Debbie Gump, history teacher, said. 

However, some students think they’re more difficult. 

“I think they are not useful because they’re more difficult to write and more difficult to learn,” Hadley Melton, freshman, said. 

“I think they aren’t resourceful because notes are supposed to be short and simple and not complex,” Daylen Robinson, freshman, said. 

“I hate them because it takes up space in the left section that could be used for the right section. There are simpler ways,” Salem Herron, sophomore, said. 

And some think students should use their own form of note-taking. 

“We’re already in high school and have our own methods for note-taking,” Wesley Palmer, sophomore, said. “I think the notes themselves are hit or miss. If you like them, you like them. If you don’t, you don’t,” Palmer added.

“I think we should be able to take notes however works best for you,” Rylea Alkire, senior, said.

“Students should be able to choose any way to learn,” Franchesca Casto, senior, said. 

However, mostly, everyone can agree that there are both positives and negatives.

“I think it’s neat to have a unified note-taking system; however, not every student learns the same way,” Mr. Doug Seckman, English and theater teacher, said. 

“They make sense, but I don’t see why we have to do them,” Mars Pullen, senior, said. “It depends on if they work for you,” Pullen said. 

“If they made it optional, more people would like it,” Maggie Jordan, sophomore, said. 

Some teachers require the notes, while others leave it up to the students.

“I like the teachers who make it optional,” Brooklyn Hefner, sophomore, said. 

Despite differing opinions, most will agree that it is a good technique to learn.