Tennis Serves up a New Season

Makayla Ferguson, Editor

Makayla Ferguson

The LCHS tennis kicked off its 2022 season February 28 with official practices. In total 20 players came out to play including 12 girls and 8 boys.

Both the girls and boys teams won their season opener March 21 with wins against Liberty and Moorefield in both singles and doubles.

The team is coached by Mr. Jeff Lybarger and Mr. Jonathon Sanchez, as the former coaches resigned in early January.

The team consists of 8 freshmen, 3 sophomores and 9 juniors. The majority of the team is young and inexperienced.

“We are (going to) have our ups and downs, but with so many freshman we have, by the next few years, things will get better,” Coach Sanchez said.

With being inexperienced the team had lots of learning of the sport to do. Most of the team signed up for tennis not know anything about the sport.

Players said that with such a large inexperienced team, getting ready for the new season takes a lot of commitment and practice from the returning and new players.

“I think we are going to have a good season. I’m glad we have 20 kids out,” Coach Lybarger said.

Coaches are excited that many kids came out to learn the fundamentals of the sport. They also say they can tell that all the players enjoy the sport.

“I think it is about growing the program as moving ahead and with having 20 kids out I’m sure we will,” Lybarger, said.

The team will play Fairmont Senior March 22 at Fairmont.

“I think this year we have a good amount of players,and I think we will succeed this season,” Jade Michaletz, freshman, said.