Post-traumatic stress disorder 

Post-traumatic stress disorder 

Ashley Montgomery, Staff Reporter

Many students report they have experienced stress and anxiety; however, most students have not experienced post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

According to https://www.psychiatry.org, PTSD is a psychiatric disorder that may occur in people who have experienced or witnessed a traumatic event such as a natural disaster, a serious accident, a terrorist act, war/combat, or rape or who have been threatened with death, sexual violence or severe injury.  

There is no age limit to PTSD, but because it is often dealing with a life experience, the longer a person is alive, there is more opportunity to experience a life-changing event.

There is a difference between anxiety, stress and PTSD. Most students have experienced anxiety and stress; however, PTSD is more serious.

According to the website, there is only one type of PTSD. PTSD has many other names like shell shock, battle fatigue and soldier’s heart.

It is normal to feel afraid during and after a traumatic situation. Fear triggers a “fight-or-flight” response. This is your body’s way of helping to protect itself from harm. It causes changes in your body such as the release of certain hormones and increases in alertness, blood pressure, heart rate and breathing. 

“PTSD comes and goes; it’s a wave and it can happen when you don’t even expect it,” James Montgomery, senior, said. 

In time, most people recover from this naturally. But people with PTSD do not feel better. They feel stressed and frightened long after the trauma is over. In some cases, the PTSD symptoms may start later. They might also come and go over time. 

“(I  know someone who) is from the war, and he had lots and lots of PTSD. It was scary to see him when it got really bad,” An LCHS senior said. 

What are some symptoms of PTSD? According to https://www.mayoclinic.org,  PTSD can be grouped into four types: intrusive memories, avoidance, negative changes in thinking and mood and changes in physical and emotional reactions.

Symptoms can vary over time or vary from person to person. 

“I suffer from PTSD. I stress everything. It does not matter how small the issue is–I will stress. When there is a big issue, then I stress a lot…like way too much than others,” Dezaray Butcher, senior, said. 

Can PTSD be treated? The primary treatment is psychotherapy but can also include medication. Combining these treatments can help improve symptoms by teaching coping skills to address your symptoms. This technique helps PTSD sufferers think better about themselves, others and the world. Experts said that learning ways to cope if any symptoms arise again is important and treating other problems often related to traumatic experiences, such as depression, anxiety or misuse of alcohol or drugs is equally important. 

“(I know someone who) suffers from PTSD, and she’s getting treatment. Yes, she still suffers from PTSD, but she is not as bad as it was before. I see some changes in her,” Kylea Adkins, sophomore, said.

8 Self-Help Tips for Dealing With PTSD | The Recovery Village

How common is PTSD? Approximately three and a half percent of U.S. adults every year, and an estimated one in eleven people will be diagnosed with PTSD in their lifetime. Women are twice as likely as men to have PTSD.