Fall Book Recommendations

Brynlea Hinzman, Staff Reporter

This fall is the perfect time to lay back and relax with a good book. With the Lewis County High School Library available to use at student’s disposal, there’s no excuse not to dive into a new book.

Mrs. Susie Thayer, and her team of library assistants, are happy to help students and staff find, select and check out a book.

Below is a list of eleven book recommendations to suit anybody’s taste.

Sci-Fi- The Infinity Courts (Akemi Dawn Bowman)
     Written by Akemi Dawn Bowman, a dizzyingly smart sci-fi about a teen girl who is trying to navigate the afterlife where she must defeat an entity that is intent on ending humanity.
Murder Mystery- Sadie (Courtney Summers)
     Sadie, a nineteen-year old girl, is tracking the mysterious disappearance of a girl that she thinks is linked to the death of her younger sister, Maddie. At the same time, a true crime podcast is looking for Sadie. With alternating chapters between Sadie’s point of view and the podcast’s, this bone chilling mystery by Courtney Summers is the perfect book to bring out your inner detective.
Fantasy- Shadow and Bone Trilogy (Leigh Bardugo)
     If you’re in the mood for a series to binge, try Shadow and Bone. This series takes place in Ravka, a war ridden land that is torn in half by The Shadow Fold. Alina is a lonely orphan who discovers that she has a special power of her own that thrusts her into the magical world of the Grisha. Written by Leigh Bardugo, this series is the first in the Grishaverse and has also been adapted into a Netflix Original Series.
Romance- Five Feet Apart (Rachael Lippincott, Mikki Daughtry, Tobias Iaconis)
     Seventeen-year old Stella has spent most of her life in the hospital due to her being a cystic fibrosis patient. Her whole life is routine until she meets Will; a charming teen who shares the same illness as Stella. When their attraction becomes undeniable, they throw out all the rules and boundaries that come with their illness all for a real love story of their own. This heart-warming novel, written by Rachael Lippincott with the help of Mikki Daughtry and Tobias Iaconis, has become a movie starring Haley Lu Richardson (Stella) and Cole Sprouse (Will).

Graphic Novel- Pumpkinheads
     Deja and Josiah are seasonal friends. They work together at the pumpkin patch. Every year they meet again on September 1 and say goodbye on Halloween. Now they’re both seniors and it’s their last year working together, and they want to go out with a bang. A coming of age story about friendship written by Rainbow Rowell and illustrated by Faith Erin Hicks.
Classic- Little Women
     Little Women is a classic, coming-of-age novel written by Louisa May Alcott. The story follows four sisters: Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy as they grow into adulthood. A mixture of friendship, romance, heartbreak, loss and joy. The book has been adapted a few times, the most recent adaptation was released in 2019. The 2019 film starred Saoirse Ronan (Jo) , Timothee Chalamet(Laurie) , Florence Pugh (Amy) , Emma Watson (Meg) , Laura Dern (Marmee) and Meryl Streep (Aunt March).
Poetry- Blue Lipstick:Concrete Poems (John Grandits)
     15-year-old girl Jessie voices typical-and not so typical- teenage experiences and worries in a unique way. Through these poems, teens relate to the raw honesty of John Grandits writing.
Mythology- The Song of Achilles (Madeline Miller)
     Set during the Greek Heroic Age, this novel is an adaption of Homer’s Iliad told in Patroclus’ perspective. Patroclus is an awkward young prince who is exiled from his homeland after an act of revolting violence. By some chance, he is connected with Achilles, and their bond grows as Achilles grows into his abilities. Written by Madeline Miller, this book is a story of friendship, war, and love with a background in Greek mythology.
Non-Fiction- Bonnie and Clyde (Karen Bluementhal)
     Bonnie and Clyde may be the most notorious- and celebrated- outlaw couple in American history. This is the story about how the teenage lovebirds became such famous criminals.
Mental Health- The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)
     Socially awkward teen Charlie is a wallflower, always watching life from the sidelines, until he meets Sam and Patrick. Free-spirited Sam and her stepbrother Patrick help show Charlie the perks of friendship, music, first love, and more. At the same time, Charlie’s English teacher introduces him to his love of writing. This heart-breaking novel was turned into a movie starring Logan Lerman (Charlie), Emma Watson (Sam), and Ezra Miller (Patrick).
Self-Help- You Don’t Have to Learn Everything the Hard Way (Laya Saul)
     This self-help book written by Laya Saul is a guide for teens that helps them understand more serious topics such as pain, sexual abuse, hard times, peer pressure, drugs abuse, and alcohol abuse, and other pertinent teen struggles.