New Cell Policy: Split Between Faculty and Students

Megan Rhoades

No more phones: LCHS Students are without cell phones during academic time.

Liz Paugh and Megan Rhodes

Students and faculty members find themselves on opposite ends of a new school policy. 

Most students do not like the new cell phone policy, while most faculty members like the new policy which restricts students from carrying, and subsequently, using cell phones during class time.  

The new policy states that students may not carry phones or any electronic device to class. 

Most students miss their phone privileges. 

“We should be able to carry them but just hand them to the teacher in the beginning of class and get them at the end,” Linda Riddle, sophomore, said. 

“I think the policy is too strong.  I should be able to use my phone between classes and whenever all my work is finished,” Joe Derico, junior, said.

“If a kid decides to not listen or pay attention, that is his or choice. Their choice will impact their grade,” Taylor Boggs, junior, said.

Teachers said they liked the change in policy.    

“I love it! My students are more engaged with me and their peers. They are even talking to each other!’’ Mrs. Samantha Rogers, science teacher, said. 

“I love the new policy. It has focused students,” Mrs. Lesley White, teacher, said.

Students said they would like to have their phones in case of an emergency. 

“I don’t agree with the policy because someone could have an emergency,” Virginia Eagle, sophomore, said. 

Administrators said in the case of an emergency they prefer students to receive emergent news from a trusted school official.  Students counter that they sometimes prefer to receive news privately without others knowing.  

Some teachers said phones were not a problem.

“Never had a problem in my class, I didn’t mind it,’’ MSgt. Bill Linger said.

Some students prefer last year’s policy.  Students said last year’s policy was a “good compromise” while teachers said students often took advantage of the policy.

“I used my phone to take notes and take pictures for vocabulary, but now I can’t, ” Taylor Weese, sophomore, said.

Elizabeth Jewell, senior, said she doesn’t mind the policy, but it does comprise her in her college classes.

“In biology, I would have really struggled last year without having access to my phone for due dates and notes,” Jewell said.

Derico added that students with Smartwatches have the same privileges that students had last year.  Now, he said, “the policy excludes those students who cannot afford Smartwatches.”

Teachers said the policy covers Smartwatches, but it is more difficult to enforce the policy with watches because of their size.

Teachers noted that students were allowed to use phones if it were part of the curriculum or if students needed it to help with project, such as research or using apps.  They are also permitted to use phone cameras in classes, like Channel 3, where it is being used for academic purposes.