New Policy Has Split Opinions

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Policy Has Split Opinions

Megan Rhoades

Megan Rhoades

Megan Rhoades

Liz Pratt and Megan Rhodes

Students and faculty members find themselves on opposite ends of a new school policy. 

Most students do not like the new cell phone policy, while most faculty members like the new policy which restricts students from carrying, and subsequently, using cell phones during class time.  

The new policy states that students may not carry phones or any electronic device to class. 

Students miss their phone privileges. 

“We should be able to carry them but just hand them to the teacher in the beginning of class and get them at the end,” Linda Riddle, sophomore, said. 

Teachers said they have liked the change in policy.    

’ I love it! My students are more engaged with me and their peers. They are even talking to each other!’’ Mrs. Samantha Rogers, science teacher, said. 

Students said they would like to have their phones in case of an emergency. 

“I don’t agree with the policy because someone could have an emergency,” Virginia Eagle, sophomore, said. 

Administrators said in the case of an emergency they prefer students to receive emergent news from a trusted school official.  Students counter that they sometimes prefer to receive news privately without others knowing.  

Some teachers said phones were not a problem.

“Never had a problem in my class, I didn’t mind it,’’ MSgt. Bill Linger said.

Some students prefer last year’s policy.  Students said last year’s policy was a “good compromise” while teachers said students often took advantage of the policy.

“I use my phone to take notes and take pictures for vocabulary, but now I can’t, ” Taylor Weese, sophomore, said.

Teachers noted that students were allowed to use phones if it were part of the curriculum or if students needed it to help with project, such as research or using apps.  They are also permitted to use phone cameras in classes, like Channel 3.