News Briefs: A Look at What’s Happening

Social Studies Fair:  Students are needed to participate in the 2019 Social Studies Fair.  Interested students should contact Mrs. Melissa Walsh.   Last year’s students captured both regional and state wins.

Food Drive: JRTOC Cadets are collecting canned food items and non-perishable good for its annual food drive.  All items will be donated to “Our Neighbor,” the local food pantry.  Throughout the years, cadets have collected more than 25,000 items that are distributed locally to needy families.

Lip Sync Battle: Mrs. Johana Cogar’s classes are sponsoring a lip sync battle Dec. 6 in the auditorium during lunch.  Interested participants should see Cogar or one of her students for more information.

American Red Cross Blood Drive: LCHS will host its bi-annual blood drive Monday, December 3 in the LCHS gymnasium.  Students need to sign up for a time slot.  For more information, students should see Mr. Mike Smith or Mrs. Christie Lybarger.

College Week: The LCHS Guidance Department sponsored its annual College Exploration Week. Students in grades 9-12 could participate in numerous daily activities to be entered in a raffle for prizes.  Students and faculty members were encouraged to wear college attire.  Students also participated in college trivia during lunch. Prizes ranged from a television, coffee makers, towels, dorm fridges, microwaves, and gift cards. Dominion assisted with the week.

Governor’s School for the Arts: GSA is looking for students to apply for a three-week study session on a college campus.  Students with a talent in writing, dancing, singing, acting and drawing. Slots are also open for students in multi-media art and instrumental music.  For more information, contact Mrs. Dodi Cook or Mrs. Lauren Landry in the guidance office.

Thespian Society: Theater students traveled to West Liberty College to participate in the annual acting competition. LCHS students performed a play written by retired teacher, Ms. Cinda Jamison.  The trip was organized by theater teacher Mr. Doug Seckman.