More than $1/4 million awarded in scholarship money

Members of the Class of 2017 brought in more than 1/4 million in scholarships to colleges and technical schools in the annual awards ceremony conducted May 19.

The two and a half hour event featured the presentation of more than three dozen awards to seniors including monetary, honorable and scholarship awards.

Colleges represented included WV Wesleyan, Fairmont State University, West Virginian University, Concord, Marshall University, University of Charleston and Pierpont.

Many local scholarships and awards were also presented to seniors in memory of deceased family members including the Charlie Carson Memorial Scholarship, Teresa Messenger Scholarship, Joe White Memorial Scholarship, Roxanna Glass Memorial Scholarship and the William “Bill” Adler Scholarships.

Many local service groups and local businesses also sponsored scholarships. In an effort to not leave out a group name, a detailed list of all scholarships will follow once it is released.

Highlighting the awards was the announcement of the Student, Teacher and Service Person of the Year.

• Senior–Emily Kemper
  • Junior–Benji Harman
  • Sophomore–Bella Posey
  • Freshman–Delaney Gump
  • Teacher of the Year–Ms. Pam Minnigh
  • Service Person of the Year–Mrs. Sharon Jerden

Some awards had to be announced earlier due the track team leaving for the WV State Track Meet.

Nearly two dozen students were presented the WV Promise Scholarship by Mr. Paul Derico, President of the Board of Education.  The Promise Scholarship offers qualifying students the equivalency to a full ride to a public college’s tuition.

One-year and two year members of Honor Society were also presented their stolls for graduation.

Members of student council, art honor society and several CTE programs were also awarded graduation honor cords.

CTE Completers were also recognized for being program completers in business, agriculture, education, culinary arts, hospitality and ROTC.

Several student names were submitted for a drawing of prizes offered by Dominion for perfect attendance for the first semester, second semester and the academic year. Prizes ranged from a television to mall gift cards.

Haley Aldermen was awarded the Most Improved Student Award.

Some programs, such as FFA and Band, had earlier presentations for their students.

The LCHS Guidance Counselors and Administrators would like to thank all who sponsored scholarships and attended the awards ceremony.