Careers in Education Students Gain Work Experience

Submitted article

Careers in Education students are getting first-hand experience by implementing the newly state-instituted simulated workplace goals in their classes.

Students in Ms. Sherrie McPherson’s classes work daily with the simulated workforce which provide high school students with real-life training.

Students said one of the component(s) of the simulated workplace initiative is to empower participants to gain real-life experience by creating a student-led and managed business.

The LCHS Careers in Education students said they are happy about the formation of the “Teachers of Tomorrow Educational Services” program.  This company offers a variety of services including a traveling trunk concept for when students visit the elementary schools to teach lessons.

“The Careers in Education students have really gone above and beyond on this project. They have a number of great ideas for the future, and I think we are all looking forward to seeing their success,” Mrs. Priscilla Suan, a teacher in the LCHS Business Department, said.

In an effort to serve the community, Teachers of Tomorrow Educational Services established a monthly community service project.  For October, Taylor McClain and Alexis Beam, community service project managers, provided a free library to LCHS students.  The Teachers of Tomorrow employees painted and designed a miniature two-story schoolhouse to serve as the library.  Lewis County First, another community program, built the free library.

Free libraries are designed to encourage a sense of community and increase reading and literacy.  All books in the library have been donated.  People are encouraged to take, read, and exchange books.

The Free Little Library was formally dedicated October 28.