Arena Scheduling Dates, Times Set

April 19: 3:30-5:30 2017 April 20: 3:30-5:30 2018 April 21: 3:30-5:30 2019

In an effort to streamline the scheduling process and make students stakeholders in their academics, the Lewis County High School Curriculum Team will implement arena scheduling for the upcoming school year.

After an absence of more than ten years, arena scheduling will return to LCHS. Separate dates have been set up for the different grade levels and are as follows:

Students, parents, and guardians are required to attend their selected evening to schedule to get priority scheduling unless prior arrangements have been made by an administrator or counselor.

Students will be given all necessary paperwork to complete the scheduling process.

Students will report to the guidance desk, and then they proceed to the cafeteria for scheduling.  Faculty members from each department will sign students up for both required and elective classes.

Students will determine classes, including required classes and electives, as well as class times.

When a class gets full, that particular class will ‘close,’ and students will have the option to determine their alternatives.

Students not scheduling during the allotted time will be scheduled by the guidance counselors.

By students making their own schedules, they will be active participants in setting their schedule, selecting class and making final decisions about their academics.

Teachers said they hope this will greatly reduce lost instruction time from schedule changes.  They also said they hope it will make students more accountable for class selection which they said, they hope will improve grades, participation and attendance.

Dodi Cook, a counselor at the high school, feels that this will be a major benefit for students.

Students say they are excited for a change in the way they construct their class schedules.

“I think it will be a positive change for the high school, and students because they are sitting down with the counselors while their class schedules are being created,” Meagan Walker, sophomore, said.